Saturday, June 16, 2007

Goodbye Macchiato :(

Today we said goodbye to part of our shepherdfam. Our sweet cat Macchiato, left this life, after another accident left her with terrible internal injuries. She had disappeared for about 24 hours and when she turned up this morning, after much prayer, she looked pretty beat up. We took her to the kitty ER, but the damage was extensive and we had to say goodbye.

It's hard too, because she was such a good cat. She was sweet and friendly to strangers. She was bonding well with Lewis and he loved her dearly. In the good old days, pre-Lewis, she would run up to my car when I came home and talk to me like a person. She would come when you called her (except when she wanted to stay out at night), and followed orders fairly well. Almost like a dog, I suppose.

We are sad she is gone, but glad she will not suffer anymore. We are so relieved that she found her way home so that we could have closure and not be wondering about her for weeks on end. Still, there's nothing like the love of a good cat. We will miss her!

Photo 1--Our most recent photo of Lewis and Macchi.
Photo 2--Macchi and Lewis getting aquainted.
Photo 3--Our friend Val with Macchi as she gets a snack.

7 comments:

me said...

I am SO sorry to hear this. I know you will miss her very much. She was a very fantastic cat. I'm glad you guys were able to nurse her back to health after her first accident when you found her and give her a good life. She got to be someone's much-loved kitty during her life rather than a stray, which is a very nice thing. Again, so sorry. - Sarah

Kelly & Nathan said...

That is so sad!!! I am so sorry about poor Machi!!! Loosing a pet is so sad... they really become members of our families! But maybe the timing was best while Lewis is still very young. My very first pets died before I was old enough to understand and so I was probably 16 or 17 when I dealt with my first animal lose. Anyway... Nathan and I are sorry!

Glenda said...

OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...from what I knew of Machi, she was a very good cat, and she will be missed.

Valentine Morozov said...

Shelley, We are SO sorry to hear about Machi. She seemed to be such a good fit for your family! Val will be disappointed when we come over next time, but at least Machs is in a better place. Paka, Machs, you'll be missed.

the Morozovs

the Powells said...

our thoughts this week... for you guys.

if Lewis (or you) ever get down, I know he's not half as good as Machi, but you can come over to see Johnny any day, smile.

Sarah Miles said...

It was cute how she slept with her head hanging off the end of the chair.

Brandon Andrew Miles said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I am such a pushover for animals, and always take losing a beloved pet very hard myself. She was very cute, and am sure she'll be missed.