Thursday, April 28, 2011

Welcome Phoebe Corinne!

Phoebe Corinne (pronounced kuh-rinn)
Born April 20, 2011 at 9:33 a.m. CST, Phoebe's stats:
Length: 20 1/4 inches
Weight: 7 lbs., 14 oz.


Last week, we were anxiously awaiting Phoebe's arrival. Tuesday night and into early Wednesday, there was a pretty big storm that woke Lewis around 1:30 a.m. With hail crashing into our windows, Lewis got in bed with us and the loudness of the storm terrified me a bit. Contractions started immediately (they had been coming and going for a good week at this point, so I didn't think much of it initially). Around 2:15, things quieted down a bit and Lewis willingly went back to his bed. My contractions continued and kept me awake the rest of the morning! At 4 a.m. I woke Justin up because the contractions were coming about every 3 minutes or so. I was still not sure I was in labor, and he didn't want to go to the hospital (which would require us waking up my sisters) so I waited a while longer and my contractions did slow down some.

By 5:45, I headed to the hospital and told Justin I would call if I was indeed in labor. At 6, I had been hooked up to the machines and told that I was 4 cm dilated and my contractions were strong enough and regular enough to keep me. With my history of Group B strep (Lewis having contracted at birth previously) my nurse managed to have me hooked up to antibiotics by 6:45 (which really impressed me! my two previous deliveries it took twice that long), and Dr. Gass broke my water at 7 a.m.

From there I felt like my progress was slow. The next couple of times they checked me I was still at 4 cm. I sat up for a while which helped me handle the pain, but by 8:40 or so, I was 5-6 cm, and my contractions were so painful that I asked for a half dose of nubain (which I had with Lewis). Unfortunately, all that did was make me more tired! So, having it to do over, I would've skipped it because it did not help with the pain and seemed to make labor & delivery more exhausting! However, despite that, in the next few minutes after, I felt ready to push and they said I was a full 10 cm.

Dr. Gass was in his office and rushed over in time to deliver Phoebe at 9:33 a.m. It was a fast and more painful birth than I remember the other two being, which may be a result of me being older this time around! Still, I was glad to get her out and get it over with. She is a beautiful baby and looks a lot like Lewis as an infant.

Recovery has been going well, and she is nursing great. She was 7 lbs., 5 oz. when we left the hospital on Friday and had gained an ounce when we went to the doctor on Tuesday. We go back next week for another weight check. So far she is sleeping tons and relatively easy. I have been a bit more emotional than after the other two were born, but seem to be leveling some.

We are grateful she is here and healthy so far. The boys do not know quite what to think, but since we talked about her sooo much before the birth, they have easily transitioned to the idea that baby Phoebe is "out" and visible now.



Ready for the ride home.



Owen loves to give her kisses!

No comments: