Tuesday, April 24, 2012

the bright side of autism

It is still autism awareness month for a few more days, and while I feel like I have a lot to say on the topic, I wanted to have at least one post on the positive side of life with autism.  While there are social and communication issues galore, in the evening, quite often, Lewis will serenade us with a whole concert of songs he has learned by ear on my mom's old piano.  I wonder sometimes if we would've known he could play music like this if we didn't have the piano.  I kept it for sentimental reasons and never realized that Lewis would have such a "voice" through it.  Here is a recent clip of him still figuring out how to play something.  Maybe it is Canon in "D"? I'm not sure. His version has evolved and become more perfected since this recording.



We have also been blown away at our boys' intelligence.  Again, we have TONS of issues that drive us crazy, but it is great that Lewis tends to pick up academic tasks easily.  He learned to read when he was 4, but Owen picked it up easily at 3.  Comprehension is a different story, but here they are reading "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and obviously enjoying it and understanding it.



Not everyone with autism will excel in academics, and our boys work so hard when they are home, but we are grateful that some of their strengths are obvious.  

No comments: