Friday, April 27, 2012

Mandy, running and BSF

In March, Mandy came to visit from Houston.  She moved back in July, so we are thrilled when she comes to visit.  We enjoyed spending time with her, but it is always too short!  Before she moved, she was working with Lewis and Owen doing Applied Behavior Analysis and Community Living Supports through our Michelle P Waiver, and she spent a great deal of time with our boys and in and out of our home.  She's been a good friend for years, so we caught up by running and going to a Sixpence show in Nashville (video posted below).

I should mention that Mandy has influenced two major life changes in me during the past year.  Both took place AFTER she left, but I'm extremely grateful for both: BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) and running.  She got into BSF several years ago and was a leader here in Bowling Green last year.  If you're not familiar, BSF is a non-denominational Bible study that is just that--studying God's word.  With the boys' therapy schedule it had been hard for me to participate in group Bible study, and I had slacked off considerably in my personal study time too.  This year BSF all over the world has been studying the book of Acts, but also many of the epistles as well.  It has been an awesome thing for me to meet some new women, but mostly to reconnect with God and His word.  I have sensed a new love for TRUTH and it has seriously watered me like a thirsty plant.  I have soaked it in, and I am so thankful to Mandy (I call her Mandarin) for pointing me in this direction.  As a mom of two kids with special needs, it is so easy to settle into "victim" mode or throw the pity party, but when I am in God's Word I am reminded that God allows all of us to go through trials of various kinds to refine us.  I am not alone, and what is happening to me is not cruel and unusual punishment.  It is merely the state of a fallen world.  But that is not the end of the story.  God is redeeming me, and no one can thwart His plan--and it is GOOD.  Lewis and Owen are exactly who they are supposed to be, but I believe they are still a work in progress and will be made whole one day too.  So.....yes, I am grateful for a friend who challenges me to find hope and strength in the only place I can!

The other change has been physical.  I didn't INTEND to start running, but Mandy has talked about it for about 3 years now, and when she came into town this time she ran a mini-marathon.  So she is pretty serious about it.  I went into January hoping to lose the rest of my pre-Phoebe weight.  Justin got me a little Nike+ gadget for my phone and I realized I wasn't walking as far as I thought.  So I increased my distance, and started following Weight Watchers points plus.  But in mid-January, I jogged to get across a 5 lane intersection and thought I'd see how far I could go.  I went about a mile non-stop and thought it wasn't too hard.  Within a week I was running 3 miles at once, but SLOWLY!  I was going at a pace of about a 15 minute mile.  It was not much faster than walking, but my heart rate was up and I could breathe at this pace.  That is where I had made my mistake in previous attempts to run.  I had gone too fast too quick and got winded and figured it wasn't for me.

I'm happy to report that now, I can run between 11 and 12 minute miles, and go 3 miles in about 35 minutes.  I've run two 5K's and lost 21 lbs.!  I'm almost back to pre-Lewis weight, but not quite.  The best part is that running makes me feel good, gives me more energy and keeps me sane quite honestly.

I will say that running has been sort of a physical picture of some internal changes.  In December and early January, I was frustrated and felt sort of trapped that I was still wearing maternity clothes and felt generally bad about myself (not that I've arrived by any means!), but at some point it occurred to me that I had to DO something about it.  Continuing on in my regular habits wasn't helping, and by making changes like writing down what I eat, keeping lots of fruit and veggies on hand, PLANNING to run in my schedule etc., and keeping tempting items out of the house has helped to bring about real change with God's help.  In that sense BSF and running have really gone hand in hand because instead of feeling bad and disconnected from the Lord like I had been, by meeting with Him and following the study, He has met me and blessed my meager efforts. Both areas required ACTION on my part that was fueled by his power. And He has convicted me in some areas of things that need a LOT of work.  All of this to say.....Mandy, thanks for being a true friend, even when you are far away.  You mean so much to me.

Mandy and I got to share a short run when she was here and it was fun (and ironic) to catch up with her pounding the pavement. Lewis made her a special card.


We also caught up some at a Sixpence show in Nashville (along with Heather Morozov and Beth) that was being recorded for an upcoming TV show about music.  Anyway, this video is one of their new songs that hasn't been released yet. Soon, I think??!! Enjoy!



2 comments:

volscats said...

I love BSF here. It has been a life saver for me. I too am trying to lose my K Man weight and M weight that I never lost. I wanted to do WW but cannot do it here bc I cannot read labels. You inspire me though Shelley. I know I can do it. I have 15 pounds I want to lose. Thank you for posting and inspiring me.

Tasha said...

What a great post, Shelley.