Thursday, April 19, 2007

into sports?

Yeah, this is random information, but the Shepherds have gotten excited about sports this spring. It's not that we are good athletes or anything, but we have been enjoying tennis and baseball nonetheless. Tennis, we got into thanks to Ted and Priscilla Baker, who recently moved back to Bowling Green after a hiatus to Fort Collins, CO for a few years. The Bakers are much more skilled in this area, and I, Shelley, am just plain bad at this point, but it's a lot of fun! Justin bought me a new pink racket and Lewis likes being outside enough that we are able to get to the park and play some. The tennis courts are located very near to the new skate park in town. We get to see some really cool stunts on our way to play tennis for an added bonus.

We are only spectators in the realm of baseball. Thanks to Fox Sports Ohio, we get almost all of the Cincinnati Reds' games on cable, which is a treat after not seeing much at all for several years. After "managing" my high school team (scorekeeping etc.) I became quite the baseball expert and grew to the love the sport. Justin has never really liked the game, but is getting into it. The Reds are playing pretty well so far this season, and Justin is always interested to see how they're doing every night. It's slow-paced and laid back which fits our lifestyle pretty well right now.

I am appreciating the slower pace of our lives these days with a baby in Bowling Green, KY. Today I was able to pay the registration fee on Justin's car and stop by the library, all while strolling Lewis in the cool spring air. It's so nice to live right in the heart of downtown. This is a peaceful place for us to be, and I have to say we are grateful for all the blessings we have.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interested in doing any softball with the church? Brian and I are looking into it. Several have showed interest. Let us know! See you soon.

Shepherd Fam said...

I can't answer for Justin (but I don't know that he has ever played softball), but the last softball game I played in ended with me getting hit in the nose and falling over behind the plate while playing catcher. Tennis is humiliating enough for now, though I'm a great spectator!

Anonymous said...

I played catcher for about seven years...that's what's supposed to happen. Getting trambled by someone bigger than you is the best part! :)

-Sarah Miles

Shepherd Fam said...

Well........I did not get trampled by a person exactly. I missed catching a ball and got hit by a pitch that was slightly deflected off my glove. It hurt! You could call me a weak link. My sister found this incident quite humorous, as did most of the people present at the time.

Anonymous said...

I got smacked in the face with an out-of-control bat one time. Thank goodness for bulky safety equipment!

-Sarah Miles

Cort said...

Shelly,

A trip to a Reds game would be a good trip at some point this summer.

It will be your ONLY opportunity to ever see me eat a hot dog. :)

Cort